Sunday, June 22, 2008

Take Advantage Man

There are several things I miss about the Deep South. And I'm not talking about the humidity as I keep a constant moisture with me at all times as pointed out in the comments to The Mexican. I'm talking about the nectar of the gods that is known as sweet tea.

You take it for granted while in MS since it seems in many establishments sweet tea is the default, and if you want crappy unsweetened tea you actually have to specify. In my current location there just aren't that many establishments that offer sweet tea. And for many of the places that do have it there is no comparison to the level of quality I'm used to.

Once a week my company provides a lunch where all of the employees gather in the conference room to enjoy the feast together (there's only 17 of us so not that big of a deal to be in one room). The food changes weekly and we have a 'healthy' rotation with Mexican, BBQ, pizza, sandwiches, etc. Our BBQ typically comes from Rudy's which happens to be my favorite BBQ place around. Rudy's is one of the few locations in town that actually serves sweet tea.

Last week was BBQ week and I learned that I work with a bunch of people that are uneducated on the simple pleasures of good sweet tea. While in line making our plates and getting our beverages I noticed a couple of my co-workers actually getting half sweet tea and half unsweet tea. Several of them were actually discussing that the sweet tea was 'just too sweet' and they had to cut it with some unsweet.

I'm here to tell you that while I enjoy my Rudy's...their tea just isn't that sweet. Discussing with John earlier tonight he equated Rudy's tea to taking cold, unsweetened tea and dropping a packet of Splenda in it. It ain't quite the same as a nice big cup of the good stuff from Bulldog Deli. I suppose my co-workers wouldn't know any better since none of them come from the South. All I can do is shake my head in disappointment to their ignorance.

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me where I can get some of Miss Bell's magical sweet tea (Billy Currington - Good Directions). Sweet tea is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage man, take advantage (Friday, sort of).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for good directions and turnip greens.

I couldn't agree more with James on these sentiments. Sweet Tea is definitely a rare commodity out where I live and when found, it must be enjoyed over and over and over again. Hell I fly across country at least twice a year just to indulge in such.

Sweet Tea in my opinion is rarely if ever too sweet. I remember back in High School, I use to stop every morning on the way to school at the Circle K and buy a bottle of Lipton "Extra Sweet" Sweet Tea. Yes this stuff was delicious. Other great teas....Bulldog Deli, Milo's, Chik-fil-A and any hole in the wall BBQ joint in MS.

John said...

In our area, I'm not sure you can do better than Bush's Chicken. I like to buy it by the gallon so I have a little sizzurp to sip on in the evenings. Chick-fil-A is a strong second though.

DP said...

Sorry I used to have that problem but I moved back to the South. A place where if you ask for tea it comes sweet by default and with a smirk and derogatory Damn-Yankee comment if ordered differently.

DP said...

However, I would trade a gallon of sweet tea for some fresh tortillas and a pound of fajitas any day of the week. Or smoked brisket and jalepeno sausage.

We need to start a food trade program. I'll export pulled pork sandwiches and sweet tea yall send some HEB marinated skirt steaks and tortillas.